Monday, August 15, 2011

Eggplant Made Delicious

I came up with this recipe during our grocery shopping fast.  I didn't have any cheese or pasta sauce with which to make eggplant parmesan, which was the only thing I knew to do with eggplant.  Instead, I threw the eggplant together with other flavors that seemed somewhat Italian-y and came up with this dish.

It's very simple.  I heated 1 lb of spicy ground sausage (from our CSA) in a pan until the fat and grease lubricated the pan.  I added a chopped 1 lb eggplant (from our CSA) and sauteed it until the eggplant was almost completely soft and the sausage was almost totally brown, breaking the sausage as it cooked.  Then I added an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and heated through.

That's it!  It can be that simple or you can add variations.  The first time I made it I cooked the eggplant in olive oil first and also added an onion and a second can of tomato sauce.  It's very flexible.  And SCRUMPTIOUS, at least to my palate.  I love simple quick dishes like this one.


Nutritional data per serving (makes 8 servings):
212 calories
15.9 g fat
624 mg sodium
7.6 g carbohydrate
2.8 g fiber
3.1 g sugar
9.5 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment