Thursday, August 11, 2011

Flaxseed Meal Pizza

Several months ago I bought flaxseed meal hoping that I would be able to add it into some of my normal foods to increase their fiber content.  I tried one recipe, which I couldn't even choke down.  So the flaxseed meal has sat in purgatory for months.

I haven't had real pizza since I started the BFC.  I have made cauliflower pizza a few times, which is a fairly good substitute, since IMO the good part of pizza is the sauce and cheese.  I had heard a few times about making pizza crust from flaxseed meal but was very hesitant to try it because of my bad experience with the first recipe.  I am SO GLAD I did!  While still not exactly like flour-pizza, this crust is tasty and satisfying and an acceptable vehicle for sauce and cheese.

I got the recipe from here and followed it pretty closely.


I mixed 1.5 cups flaxseed meal, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of oregano, and a LOT of garlic powder (probably 1 tbsp).  Then I added in 0.5 cup water, 3 eggs, and 3 tbsp of olive oil.  I mixed thoroughly and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken.



I greased a large baking sheet and spread the dough as evenly as I could.  It was about an eighth of an inch thick.  Then I baked the dough for 18 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Ultimately it was around one-quarter of an inch thick.


I added one-quarter cup of low-sugar pasta sauce (Harris Teeter Naturals!  It's really good.) and one-quarter cup of mozzarella cheese and one tbsp Parmesan cheese to each quarter of the crust and baked another six minutes.


My resultant slice of pizza!  It tore a little bit when I was getting it onto my plate; the dough isn't as coherent as real pizza but it does hang together better than the cauliflower pizza.  It actually resembles bread!


The pizza was so delicious!!  I will definitely make this again, tempered only by the cost of flaxseed meal.  It's also much less labor-intensive than the cauliflower pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment