Friday, September 30, 2011

New Workout Routine - NRLW

I decided to shake up my workout routine to blast off fat at a faster rate.  I have been doing steady-state cardio and lifting light weights (though not in the past couple weeks because I've been sick) but I know this isn't the most efficient and effective use of my time.

I've decided to start following the heavy weight lifting program outlined in The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler (NRLW).  It's a pretty intensive program.  It's about six months of 3x/week workouts.  There are seven different stages!  The program shuns Barbie weights so I have to familiarize myself with the part of the weight room with barbells and heavy dumbbells.  Unfortunately I can't do the workouts in my home or apartment complex gym as I have been because of the equipment required, so I'm back at my university gym.  They actually renovated the weight room over the summer and there are all new machines and the layout was completely rearranged.

In addition to these weights workouts, I would like to do interval training.  I don't think I'm going to go for HIIT because the heavy weight lifting will require time for my muscles to recuperate and HIIT also needs recuperation time.  But I think I will try to do some interval training on my non-lifting days.  NRLW does prescribe interval training in some stages so I will use that as a guide.

I think an ideal week would consist of 3 weights workouts, 2-3 interval workouts, and 0-2 steady-state cardio workouts.  If I miss any days, the steady-state should be the first to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment